skip to content | Accessibility Information

Using other libraries


Academic libraries in the North West

Students and staff of MMU can use books, journal and other materials, which are held at other Manchester academic libraries because of an agreement through NoWAL (North West Academic Libraries).

Before visiting another library, first make sure that what you need is not available at MMU. You can check all the other NoWAL library catalogues via the web to find out what material is available.

When you visit you must take your MMU card as identification. Some other NoWAL libraries may also issue you with an external user card. Please remember to take this with you on all subsequent visits.

You will find that you have access to most printed materials (reference only for undergraduates) but normally no access to items on restricted or short loan nor to any electronic resources, other than the catalogue.

Taught Postgraduate students are also eligible for borrowing rights at any NoWAL library through the SCONUL Access scheme. Please see details below.

Academic Staff and Research Students (Phd and M.Phil) are eligible for the same borrowing rights but should apply initially to their own Site Library under the Sconul Access scheme. Please see details below.

Access to the University of Manchester Library

The Librarian of the University of Manchester Library has reviewed the position in respect of MMU students, and has agreed to allow access to all undergraduate students on production of their current MMU ID card. There is no longer any need to go to one of the site libraries to be issued with an MMU Library Reference Card. Students can now go down to the University of Manchester Library with their MMU card where they will be given a card authorising access. This will be for reference only.

Important: at certain times of year, when their library service is in heavy demand, the University of Manchester Library restrict access by MMU undergradute students. We will usually announce these periods in the news section of our web site, on the home page.

Postgraduate students, part-time students and distance learners can also apply for limited borrowing through the SCONUL Access scheme. They should go to any MMU site library where they will be issued with a SCONUL Access card. This should be taken to the main desk at the University of Manchester Library together with a current MMU ID card.

It must be stressed that MMU students are guests when using the University of Manchester Library and have no automatic right of access to that library. We ask you to respect the University of Manchester Library and its staff (and indeed our own MMU facilities and staff) and to note that inappropriate behaviour will not be tolerated. Access will be withdrawn immediately and permanently for anyone who behaves inappropriately whilst using the facilities.

MMU academic staff and researchers are not affected by the above restrictions. Staff may access University of Manchester Library on production of the MMU ID card. If you wish to borrow you should first go to any MMU site library to apply for a SCONUL Access card. Researchers will need to apply for a SCONUL Access card from MMU for both access and borrowing.

^ Top of page

Access to other university libraries


SCONUL Access is a co-operative venture between most of the higher education libraries of the UK and Ireland. It enables staff, research students, full-time postgraduates and all part-time, distance learners and most placement students to borrow material from other libraries. It also allows full-time undergraduates students reference access.

If you are a part-time student, a distance learner or on placement, or a taught postgraduate wishing to borrow from a college or university library both inside and outside the North West, the SCONUL Access scheme allows you to have access to and to borrow from participating academic libraries in close proximity to where you live or work. In addition there is provision for full-time students on a reference only basis. You can apply to use the scheme at your local MMU library Enquiry/Issue Desk.

Academic staff on open or fixed term contracts and research postgraduates (Phd and M.Phil) can use the scheme to apply for access and borrowing directly from participating academic libraries. You can apply to use the scheme at your local MMU library Enquiry/Issue Desk

For full details of the scheme and to download an application form please go to the SCONUL Access web site.

^ Top of page

British Library (London)

Full details about admission requirements for the British Library reading rooms at St Pancras, Colindale and Wetherby are available on the British Library website.

^ Top of page

Public libraries

Remember that your local public library may stock some of the books and journals that you need and offer inter-library loan services, computing facilities and Internet access.

^ Top of page

Special libraries

There are also special libraries in the region that may be of interest to researchers.

^ Top of page