Find It! and Google Scholar
Google Scholar is a search engine that allows you to find scholarly literature such as theses, articles, abstracts and books.
Find It! is a service that gives you the opportunity to see if you can access a certain text via MMU.
It is possible to use Find It! within Google Scholar in order to let you know which of your Scholar search results you might be able to access via MMU. When you perform a search in Scholar, results from Find It! compatible resources will appear with a link saying Find It at MMU Library next to them. Clicking this link lets you see if you can get access to the text in question through MMU.
NB The presence of a Find It! link by a search result is not a guarantee that MMU has access to the full text.
Accessing Find It! & Google Scholar
If you are working on campus, using an MMU network PC, Find It! has already been activated with Google Scholar and Find It at MMU Library links will appear next to search results where appropriate.
If you would like to use Find It! with Google Scholar from off-campus, you have to configure it yourself:
- Go to the Google Scholar homepage.
- Follow the Settings link.
- Follow the Library Links link.
- Enter MMU in the search box and click the search button that has the magnifying glass icon.
- In the results that appear below, use the tick box to select Manchester Metropolitan University - Find it at MMU Library.
- Click on the Save button.
- You will be returned to the Google Scholar search page, where you can now search Scholar and see Find It! links next to relevant results.
Using Find It! & Google Scholar
In order to use Find It! with Google Scholar, please follow these steps:
- Go to the Google Scholar homepage.
- Enter your search query in the search box and click the Search button.
- On the results page, scroll down until you find an article you would like to see as full text:
- If the result has a Find It at MMU Library link below and/or to the side of it then you now have the opportunity to use Find It! to see if the text is available via MMU – please follow step 4 onwards below.
- If the result does not have a Find It at MMU Library link below and/or to the side of it then you can not use Find It! to see if the text is available via MMU – you can request the text via Inter-Library Loan instead.
- Click on the Find It at MMU Library link.
- A Find It! page will appear:
- Under Full Text you will find resources through which the full text of the article you require can be accessed, where available.
- Under Additional holdings information you will find links which allow you to search MMU Library catalogue and the catalogues of other selected libraries.
- If the Find It! page has entries under Full Text, then click on the Go button next to an entry to link to the full text via that service.
- If, under Full Text, you see the message No electronic full text available. Please check MMU Library Catalogue for print holdings (see below) then you can:
- Click the Go button next to Holdings in MMU Library Catalogue in order to search for the text via MMU Library’s catalogue.
- Click the Go button next to Holdings in other library catalogues in order to search for the text via an alternative library’s catalogue. You can select which library’s catalogue you would like to search using the drop-down menu.
- If the full text is unavailable electronically and you cannot locate it in the library catalogues then you can use the ILL (Inter-Library Loan) section to get information on how you can request the article via Inter-Library Loan.
- Click the Go button next to Request document via Inter-Library Loan to be taken to MMU Library’s Inter-Library Loan page.
Feedback and getting further help
Please report any problems with Find it! by using the feedback form within the Find it! menu itself. This can be found in the menu’s advanced section.
You can also contact your local library helpdesk.
You may find the following sections of the Library website useful:
- Find it!
- Login information
December 2012 DJ
^ Top of page